Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thelma and Louise


We added our first two fish today! Our water quality has been consistent and ideal, so I picked up two fancy goldfish from Austin Aquadome while I was running errands earlier. Hanna has named them Thelma and Louise.

UPDATE: As I was preparing this post, Thelma and Louise have passed on.

Dead in 15 minutes?!?!? I checked the pH, temperature, ammonia and nitrite levels, and even let their fishy bag sit in the green wall water for 30 minutes before releasing them into the reservoir. They swam around happily for about 5 minutes and I went back to my desk to work on the blog. I look over a few minutes later and they're flopping around on their sides. After frantically attempting a fast partial water change in an effort to save them, they ultimately ended up floating lifelessly at the surface.

I don't know what else I could have done to save our new friends. I think it would be cruel to try again and kill more fish, so maybe the green wall is complete without them.

We only knew you a short time, Thelma... Louise... but our memory of you will remain a lifetime (about 15 minutes, in this case).

No comments:

Post a Comment